Welcome to our blog

This is the story of two educators on one journey. Each day we will record our reflections on the process of being involved in an innovative educational environment. The decision on our part to leave the public education system was deliberate due to our growing frustrations over the factory "one size fits all" model of education. This model has dominated the educational landscape and is not designed to meet the needs of the 21st century learner. Step one in our journey was to find a place that would allow us the freedom to break out of the system. We needed a chance to just breath and facilitate learning in the ways that we both know are best for children. That step has led us to Rosemary Beach Florida to work with the students attending the OH Institute. The OH Institute is a unique educational environment that we find humane. The curriculum focus is on the individual learner with an infusion of technology project based learning. Currently, it has 20 students in grades 4-11 all of whom are seeking something different than what the factory system of education has to offer. This is where our adventure begins...

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tuesday October 19th

Tuesday October 19th:

I liked the response from the high school students today about the new structure. Amy really did a great job with this in terms of creating something that is good for kids. That is always the #1 concern. I got to work a good bit with Connor in chemistry today and I actually really enjoyed the subject and experience. I could really get into that stuff if I had more time. I also spent some time with Mason in algebra today and I hope I was able to clarify some of his questions regarding making equations simple. After today I think I could enjoy teaching chemistry and math I suppose. One neat thing was having a visit from Olivia's dog who just sticks to her like glue. They obviously have a really strong bond. Elementary worked on writing today and sometimes I get frustrated at how slow they can get to the products. I hope I can think of ways to get them to turn out a bit more work, but not too much, more efficiently.


We rolled out the new structure for the HS American History/ Language Art course today. Actually the structure is not new we just added a timeline and a list of tasks to make it more transparent for the students to see what tasks they are working on and when they are working on them. I am going to go home tonight and work on a graphic organizer to help them picture it a little easier. They all seemed really relieved to see the structure to the tasks and the feedback was that it was not as overwhelming as before. I will be curious to see how it rolls out for them and if they are able to produce high quality work while maintaining the timeline. I may tweak the project portion a bit because three weeks is a bit short.

No comments:

Post a Comment